Tuesday, May 16, 2017

Shame on NJ Congressman Rodney Frelinghuysen


Below is a letter that I sent to Congressman Frelinghuysen, who recently pressured a member of a political activist group, NJ 11th for Change, to resign from a high-powered job in the banking industry. Please join me in exercising our first amendment rights on this one. This is our democracy. And Congressman Frelinghuysen’s actions are not acceptable.



5/16/2017

Dear Congressman Frelinghuysen,

I have become aware of the recent situation regarding Saily Avelenda, who lives in my hometown of West Caldwell, NJ. According to several news sources, she was pressured to leave a high-power job in the private sector largely as a result of a letter that you wrote to her representative, indicating your concern that she is a member of an activist political organization (NJ 11th for Change). I am perplexed and concerned by this fact for several reasons.

I am a founding member of a similar group, Move Forward New York - Congressional District 19. And my activism as part of this group is, to my mind, indicative of my taking the democratic process seriously. Individuals from any part of the political spectrum who dedicate their time and efforts to working for political causes that they deem important should be commended for going above and beyond and for engaging in the foundation of our democracy. Such groups largely are all about exercising their first amendment rights - and I would think that a congressman would be highly supportive of individuals who take their time and energy to  do exactly that.

The world is a scary place right now - and the fact that millions of Americans are standing up to participate fully in our democracy is exactly what is needed to help get our nation back on track during this time.

I hope and trust that in the future you will consider these points in your behaviors regarding citizen actions groups - as such groups are comprised of volunteers who are going the extra mile on behalf of our future. For my money, there are few things as commendable - and if I were in your shoes, I would write Ms. Avelenda a letter commending her for her work. Clearly she has other things she is doing in her life - and clearly she is engaging in the political process because she cares about OUR nation's future.

Don't hesitate to contact me with any questions. And many thanks for your attention.

Genuinely, Glenn Geher, Graduate of James Caldwell High School (class of 1988); Founding member of Move Forward New York


Note: I grew up in West Caldwell - I currently reside in New Paltz, NY
*******************************************************************************

If ever there was a time to become politically active and rise up, that time is now. Here is to the uprising.

Join the uprising at www.moveforwardnewyork.org

Note that the views expressed herein are expressly the views of the author and are not necessarily the views of Move Forward New York as a collective entity.